Top 5 Wednesday- Historical Books

Hello all!! I hope winter is treating you right! This week's Top 5 Wednesday is: Top 5 Historical Books
(This topic was created by BookTuber gingerreadslainey)

1. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
This novel will always have a special place in my heart for numerous reasons. One being that I read it during middle school so it'll always remind me of my pre-teen years and I found it easier to relate to Jem and Scout. This book made it to the top 5 because it highlighted the racial tensions prevalent in the south in the 1930's and showed multiple perspectives. The characters were highly likable and I may or may not have watched the movie three times...

2. The Diviners by Libba Bray
Despite this novel being close to two thousand pages, I was hooked. The Diviners is set in 1920's New York City and the author definitely did her research when it came to historical accuracy. This book has a touch of mystery, the supernatural and love which makes this historical novel #2.

3. Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie
This is a historical fiction novel that's geared more towards adults but I loved it nonetheless. This novel is about the Cultural Revolution that occurred in China and really put into perspective the value and knowledge that literature holds. This book made the list because I actually learned a bit about Chinese history through this book.

4. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Once again, I am drawn to historical fiction YA novels that have a supernatural element. Most of it has to do with me not reading much straight historical fiction. What made this book #4 was its great story line and excellent character portrayal that really sucked you into the novel.

5. Cinders and Sapphires by Leila Rasheed
Technically I did not finish this book yet  but I'm still putting it on my list. This particular makes the list because it shows what life was like for a lady's maid and what it entailed. I really connected with Lady Ada's bookishness and got sucked into 1900's England.

Links to the aforementioned books:
To Kill A Mockingbird
The Diviners
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Cinders and Sapphires



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Follow on Bloglovin